Breeding and Reproduction
pdf file opens in new window/tab
This page represents sources of importance with respect to efficient reproductive management for swine enterprises.
30 Pigs per Sow per Year (P/S/Y)
Achieving 30 pigs per sow per year is a reproductive efficiency target that has become achievable by many sow farms in the industry. This National Hog Farmer Blueprint issue on Sow Reproductive Efficiency provides information on the topic from national experts.
Individual articles are linked here:
- 10 Crucial Steps to Sow and Litter care
- Calculation Strategies for Sow Productivity
- Feeding for Sow Reproductive Efficiency
- Maximizing Genetic Potential of Sow Productivity
- Understanding the Physiology of 30+ pigs/sow/year
Selecting, managing and developing replacement gilts is key to the success of any sow operation, regardless of size. How replacement gilts are managed from birth through their first lactation can have marked implications on productivity the remainder of their life.
Gilt selection is a critical component of improving the reproductive efficiency of a sow herd. Identification of gilts with reduced age at puberty is valuable as it is an indicator of sow lifetime productivity. ISU data indicate that follicular activity, assessed by differences in the size of the gilt’s vulva, prior to puberty (95 and 115 days of age) may have some predictive value for age of puberty onset. These results are in the Iowa State University Animal Industry Report, Identification of Measures Predictive of Age at Puberty (AS 659)
Posters for gilt management and selection:
- Identification of conformational and structurally sound gilts.
- Selection for feet and leg soundness in replacement gilts.
- Selection for reproductive trait soundness in replacement gilts.
Sow Lifetime Productivity (SLP)
Sow Lifetime Productivity (SLP) refers to the number of quality pigs a sow weans over her lifetime. A variety of management approaches from the neonatal stage through first lactation can contribute to SLP. This National Hog Farmer Blueprint issue on SLP highlights the importance of several different production stages.
See individual articles:
- Assessing feet and leg structure
- Birth weight and neonatal management impacts on sow longevity
- First lactation management to influence future parities
- Floor space allowance and future reproductive ability
- Gilt breeding management to optimize longevity
- Growth and nutrition effects on gilt development
- Sow potential productivity capture for life
Troubleshooting reproduction problems
- National Swine Reproduction Guide, an online troubleshooting and management tool, provided for a fee by U.S. Pork Center of Excellence
More swine reproduction resources
- Selection guides and posters - National Hog Farmer
- Swine reproduction fact sheets - Pork Information Gateway
Connect with IPIC