The application window for Summer 2023 internships has closed. Please check back in Fall 2023 for 2024 application instructions.
Description and Outcomes
- Work on an applied research project. Including data collection, creating videos and factsheets.
- Collaborate with IPIC faculty/staff to develop experimental protocols, analyze data and create reports based on project results.
- Gain swine industry experience through research, extension and industry networking.
- Attend Iowa Swine Day, World Pork Expo and industry meetings.
- Strong interest in pursuing a career in the swine industry.
- Previous experience working with pigs preferred.
- Meet with collaborators 1-2 times prior to beginning of internship to make intern aware of project details, objectives, and commitments.
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student in animal science (or related field) or a veterinary student (preferably swine or large-animal focused) in good academic standing (GPA greater than 3.0).
- Must have a valid U.S. (or equivalent) driver's license.
- Must be physically able to work with pigs in a commercial environment on a daily basis.
- Ability to travel throughout the duration of internship, to various states.
How to Apply
To apply submit the following materials in one pdf document to Stacie Matchan at email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Transcript (unofficial)
- 2 short paragraphs
- One describing interest in a career within the swine industry.
- One describing reasons for interest in this internship.
IPIC Student Employment Opportunities
Opportunities are intermittently available for undergraduate students to work with IPIC staff throughout the year. Please contact Stacie Matchan (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information and availability.
IPIC Communications Position with Science With Practice
If you’re interested in communications and the pork industry, and looking for a part-time on-campus employment during spring or fall semesters, consider Science With Practice with Sherry Hoyer. Students enrolled in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences can earn money and academic credit through SWP. Contact Sherry Hoyer directly (email@example.com) for more information on this IPIC position.