pdf file opens in new window/tab
Beef and Pork Whole Animal Buying Guide
Consumer-oriented guide explains buying pork as whole animals (or portions thereof). Includes marketing terms and information on storage and handling, meat inspection and common retail cuts of pork.
Measuring Pork Quality
A brochure detailing measurements of the pork quality parameters of color, intramuscular fat, water-holding capacity, and ultimate pH.
Plastic Grid for Quick Measurement of Loin Eye Area (ordering info)
A tool for measuring loin eye area of a pork carcass.
A pictorial view of the cuts of pork, with descriptive information, preparation/cooking tips, nutritional content and recipes. [excellent, Checkoff resource]
- Comparison of carcass composition, performance, and tissue deposition rates among breeds of swine
- Composition and Quality Characteristics of Pigs Selected for Divergent Residual Feed Intake on High or Low Energy Diets
- Controlling Factors That Influence Pork Quality
A presentation by Dr. Ken Prusa on how feeding, specifically DDGS, influences pork and fat quality.
- Correlations among selected pork quality traits
- Effect of selection for reduced residual feed intake on composition and quality of fresh pork
- Effects of Blast Chilling on Fresh Pork Quality in Chops from the Longissimus Dorsi
- Genetic improvement of meat quality traits in pigs
- Impact of dietary fat intake on carcass iodine value and pork fat quality
- Influence of lipid content on pork sensory quality within pH classification
- Influence of selection for improved growth rate on pork quality
- Naturally cured meats: Quality, safety, and chemistry
- Nutrient utilization, pork quality, and lysinerequirement of immunological castrates
- Relationship of Fat Quality and Meat Quality Traits of Fresh Pork
- Selection for lean growth efficiency in Duroc pigs influences pork quality
- The effect of selection for intramuscular fat on fatty acid composition in Duroc pigs
Biosafety Institute for Genetically Modified Agricultural Products (BIGMAP) - Iowa State University
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition - Iowa State University
Food safety - Iowa State University
Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HAACP) Information Center - Iowa State University
Resources for the development of HACCP programs in foodservice establishments
Influenza - National Pork Board
Meat Science program, Department of Animal Science - Iowa State University
Meat Science Short Courses - Iowa State University
A available in processing, curing, and safety of pork products.
MRSA Fact Sheet - National Pork Board
What consumers should know about Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
National Pork Board
Producer checkoff funded resources with industry programs and certifications related to animal care and handling, quality assurance, safety, environmental care and stewardship.
Pork Safety Fact Sheets, Pre-harvest and Post-harvest - National Pork Board
Secure Pork Supply - National Pork Board and APHIS
A Secure Pork Supply (SPS) Plan is being developed to enhance communication and coordination, accelerate a successful Foreign Animal Disease (FAD) response, and support continuity of operations for pork producers.
The Center for Food Security & Public Health - Iowa State University
The mission of the CFSPH is to increase national and international preparedness for accidental or intentional introduction of diseases that threaten food production or public health.
Trichinae certification in the United States pork industry
Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Trichinellosis, David Pyburn et al.
U.S. Government Food Safety Websites
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet) (CDC)
- Recalls, Market Withdrawals, and Safety Alerts (FDA)
- USDA, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- USDA Economic Research Service, Food Safety
- USDA, Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)
Videos by the late Dr. Scott Hurd, DVM - on YouTube
- How do infectious diseases spread?
- Is ractopamine in beef and pork safe?
- Quantitative travel of bacteria from farm to fork
- The spread of contamination in pig processing
- What is ractopamine?
- Why do beef and pork farmers use ractopamine?
Connect with IPIC