News Archives -- News Releases and NEWS NOW
pdf file opens in new window/tab
News and Releases
- The 8th annual Iowa Swine Day took place at Iowa State University on June 27 with a record 570 people attending. The event attracted many pork producers, and representatives from feed, genetics, equipment, and animal health companies, veterinarians, and many university faculty and students. Together, representatives from swine production companies collectively managed approximately 3 million sows, roughly 50% of the U.S. sow herd.
- A RUSLE2 and Iowa Phosphorus Index Workshop has been scheduled for July 25 at the Polk County Extension & Outreach Office in Altoona. This workshop provides hands-on RUSLE2 software orientation and uses real field examples to determine risk calculations of the Iowa Phosphorus Index; and how to incorporate these numbers into manure and nutrient management planning requirements. Soil sampling requirements, common errors, and the DNR’s review process also will be discussed. Anyone interested in this training can find additional information at the RUSLE2 Workshop website here https://register.extension.iastate.edu/rusle2
- The purpose of Iowa Drainage School 2019 is to train stakeholders in sub-surface drainage concepts, planning and laying out drainage systems including surveying a profile, laying out the system, calculating tile line sizes and spacing using actual field data, and fixing common drainage system issues. The school is scheduled for August 20-22 at the Borlaug Learning Center in Nashua. Each day includes a combination of hands-on training, lecture and discussion, and problem solving using in-field examples. More information is available on the Iowa Drainage School website here http://www.aep.iastate.edu/ids/
- The ISU Research Farms have put in place a new advisory for African Swine Fever which joins existing advisories for FMD and Avian Influenza. Visitors are welcome at the ISU Research Farms and tours can be arranged by contacting the farms in advance. If visitors arrive at the research farm unannounced, they are encouraged to call the farm office or the farm superintendent on arrival. All three advisories are available through links on the farms' visitors page here https://www.farms.ag.iastate.edu/visitors
- Iowa Pork Industry Center at Iowa State University continues to work with industry professionals in offering Pork Quality Assurance Plus 4.0 advisor certification opportunities, including a newly scheduled session for Friday, Aug. 9. Iowa State Extension swine veterinarian Chris Rademacher is coordinating the session which will be held at the Hansen Ag Student Learning Center.
- IPIC is offering Pork Quality Assurance Plus (PQA) advisor certification sessions. With the introduction later this year of PQA Plus 4.0, IPIC is offering advisor certification sessions with two currently remaining on June 4 and July 2. Deadlines are two weeks prior to the session date or when the maximum limit is reached. Those interested in attending should download, complete and submit the application form for their desired date and location as soon as possible.
- The Jeff and Deb Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center is unique to Iowa State University, the state of Iowa and much of the Midwest. From everyday classroom and lab areas for courses to professional development space for internal and external groups, and from formal receptions to club meetings, this multipurpose building serves a multitude of purposes and hosts thousands of people each year.
Connect with IPIC
Questions? Contact email@example.com