Preparing for a Foreign Animal Disease
pdf file opens in new window/tab
Is your farm ready for a foreign animal disease?
Iowa Pork Industry Center and ISU extension swine specialists are available to help producers understand state and federal responses to an FAD outbreak, what steps can be taken now to preapre, and how resources in the Secure Pork Supply (SPS) plan can help.
We are offering interactive workshops to help you learn what to expect during a foreign animal disease outbreak and how you can prepare and protect your farm. We will cover:
- What is the risk of an FAD to the U.S. swine industry? What is being done to keep FADs out of the U.S.?
- How would the U.S. respond to an FAD outbreak?
- What happens if your farm is infected with an FAD?
- How does Secure Pork Supply help your business continue during an FAD outbreak?
- What can you do on your farm today to prepare?
Dates and locations in IowaWorkshops are from 1-4:00 pm with an optional help session
from 4-5:00 pm.
- December 2 - Dike
- December 3 - Orange City
- December 4 - Oskaloosa
- December 9 - Ames
- December 10 - Audubon
- December 11 - Tipton
We also offer individual and small group assistance with foreign animal disease preparedness, enhancing biosecurity, and developing an SPS plan for your operation. If you are interested in scheduling a workshop, webinar or individual or small group plan assistance, please contact the ISU Extension swine specialist in your region, or email Amanda Chipman at email@example.com.
Online workshop: FAD Prep 101 is available online, and covers the status of African Swine Fever worldwide, signs of ASF and what to do if you observe them, what is being done to prevent FADs in the U.S., national movement standstill, mass depopulation and disposal options, and how Secure Pork Supply helps your business continue during an FAD outbreak.
- Verify your farm's PIN
- Secure Pork Supply website
- SPS Plan for continuity of business
- Biosecurity: writing an enhanced plan, training employees, creating a site map, and more
- African swine fever, Foot and mouth disease, and Classical swine fever: more about these diseases
- How to organize farm records for an outbreak - from Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
- More resources specific to African Swine Fever can be found at our ASF resource page
What is the Secure Pork Supply plan? How can it help you prepare for a foreign animal disease outbreak? Watch some of these short videos to learn about SPS and why it matters to you.
Sign up for regular email updates from us about foreign animal disease preparation, Secure Pork Supply, and African swine fever.
Connect with IPIC
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org