Swine Exhibition and Youth Projects
pdf file opens in new window/tab
General Iowa 4-H swine project materials and resources
Swine youth project resources
Amy Powell, 4-H livestock specialist, ISU animal science department
Swine Skillathon materials
Swine health and disease information for Iowa exhibitors
2016 Iowa Health Exhibition requirements for livestock, poultry and birds at county fairs
2016 Iowa Health Exhibition requirements for livestock, poultry and birds at state fair, district shows and exhibitions
PEDV factsheets for Iowa weigh-in events and county fairs (updated for 2016)
- Biosecurity during county fair weigh-in: PEDV considerations for exhibitors
- Biosecurity during county fair weigh-in: PEDV considerations for volunteers
- Biosecurity during county fair: PEDV considerations for exhibitors, parents and the public
- Swine at county fair: PEDV considerations for CYCs, swine committees and fair boards
Swine carcass contests at swine exhibitions
Carcass Value Contest - background
The objective of the Carcass Value Contest is to utilize carcass ultrasound scan information to establish a market value for live pigs and rank from highest to lowest value for a contest using carcass information and pig performance.
A unique pricing matrix is used to reflect how packers establish the value of a pig carcass.
Base carcass value is adjusted for:
- Carcass weight discount - Discounts are used by all major U.S. packers for carcasses that are outside of the desired weight range.
- % lean premium/discount - The majority of U.S. packers offer premiums and discounts based on carcass lean.
- Carcass with a loin area 10 sq. in. or larger have a $1.00/cwt discount - This discount is in response to domestic retailers concerns of loin cuts larger than optimal size.
Contact your Iowa State Extension swine field specialist for more information or to obtain a spreadsheet for carcass data entry and ranking.
Connect with IPIC
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org