Swine Exhibition and Youth Projects
pdf file opens in new window/tab
General Iowa 4-H swine project materials and resources
Swine youth project resources
Amy Powell, 4-H livestock specialist, ISU animal science department
Swine Skillathon materials
Swine health and disease information for Iowa exhibitors
PEDV factsheets for Iowa weigh-in events and county fairs (updated 2016)
- Biosecurity during county fair weigh-in: PEDV considerations for exhibitors
- Biosecurity during county fair weigh-in: PEDV considerations for volunteers
- Biosecurity during county fair: PEDV considerations for exhibitors, parents and the public
- Swine at county fair: PEDV considerations for CYCs, swine committees and fair boards
Swine carcass contests at swine exhibitions
Carcass Value Contest - background
The objective of the Carcass Value Contest is to utilize carcass ultrasound scan information to establish a market value for live pigs and rank from highest to lowest value for a contest using carcass information and pig performance.
A unique pricing matrix is used to reflect how packers establish the value of a pig carcass.
Base carcass value is adjusted for:
- Carcass weight discount - Discounts are used by all major U.S. packers for carcasses that are outside of the desired weight range.
- % lean premium/discount - The majority of U.S. packers offer premiums and discounts based on carcass lean.
- Carcass with a loin area 10 sq. in. or larger have a $1.00/cwt discount - This discount is in response to domestic retailers concerns of loin cuts larger than optimal size.
Contact your Iowa State Extension swine field specialist for more information or to obtain a spreadsheet for carcass data entry and ranking.
Connect with IPIC
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org