NEWS AND RELEASES/ NEWS NOW
Jay Harmon has been named the interim director for Iowa Pork Industry Center (IPIC). Harmon, a professor of agricultural and biosystems engineering (ABE) and an extension livestock housing specialist, brings expertise in pork production systems to the position.
As the temperature and humidity level rise outside, producer need to address animal comfort indoors. Iowa Pork Industry Center interim director Jay Harmon said it’s the combination of air movement and wetting that help pigs. Wetting pigs is imperative because pigs don’t truly sweat like humans so. Wetting pits is like giving them some artificial sweat.
- Students Help with Swine Industry Research at Iowa State University (5/6/14)
Some student employees at Iowa State University are playing a vital role in research on critical issues in today’s swine industry. Assistant professor in agricultural and biosystems engineering Dan Andersen said a current three-university research project focusing on the causes of manure pit foaming offers great opportunity for student involvement.
- Using Art to Learn about Livestock (5/6/14)
The department of animal science at Iowa State University offers courses about nutrition, breeding and genetics, meat science, and physiology to help students learn about the science of animals. In addition to this curriculum is a class that incorporates livestock with art.
Updated ISU Swine Personnel Booklet Available from IPIC (2/21/14)
Finding the Iowa State University swine expert you need is easier with the online listing provided by Iowa Pork Industry Center (IPIC.) The 21-page pdf booklet features names, photos and contact information for more than 80 faculty and staff members with swine- and/or pork-related work responsibilities.
- Swine Production Seminar Set in Northwest Iowa (2/18/14)
Pork producers in northwest Iowa are invited to attend a one-day swine production seminar on Thursday, March 13 in Okoboji. The program is sponsored by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, University of Minnesota Extension, Hubbard Feeds and Elanco.
- Lauren Christian Pork Chop Open Planned for June 25 (2/14/14)
The calendar may show mid-February, but plans for the 2014 Lauren Christian Pork Chop Open are heating up. John Mabry, animal science professor at Iowa State University, leads the planning and said this year’s tournament is scheduled similarly to last year.
- Iowa Pork Industry Center sets PQA Plus® 2.0 Advisor Session in April (2/11/14)
Veterinarians and others in Iowa’s pork industry have the opportunity to become Pork Quality Assurance Plus® 2.0 Advisors at a session offered by Iowa Pork Industry Center (IPIC) at Iowa State University.
2014 ISU Animal Industry Report Now Available Online (2/11/14)
The 2014 Iowa State University (ISU) Animal Industry Report is now available online. This report features a variety of animal industry-related research done at ISU which was supported by the Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station.
- SowBridge and PorkBridge Programs Begin Soon (1/14/14)
The successful pork industry distance education programs SowBridge and PorkBridge are scheduled to begin in early February, so those who want to participate need to register very soon.
Iowa Pork Regional Conferences Offer Risk and Financial Management Information (1/06/14)
Iowa pork producers are invited to learn more about preventing losses, limiting liability and conducting barn walk-throughs at the 2014 Iowa Pork Regional Conferences scheduled for late next month. They’ll also hear about factors affecting operations’ financial status and get updates on a variety of health and disease issues.
NEWS NOW from IPIC is an electronic e-newsletter sent 25 times annually to those who request it. All issues also are posted here as .pdf files. Add your e-mail address to the NEWS NOW list.
- Vol. 14, no. 9 (August 18, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 8 (August 4, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 7 (July 21, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 6 (July 7, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 5 (June 23, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 4 (June 9, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 3 (May 27, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 2 (May 12, 2014)
- Vol. 14, no. 1 (April 28, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 25 (April 14, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 24 (March 31, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 23 (March 17, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 22 (March 3, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 21 (February 17, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 20 (February 3, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 19 (January 21, 2014)
- Vol. 13, no. 18 (January 6, 2014)
News releases |2014|