FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE
Information and links to help you understand what's happening, and why.
Do you have questions about FMD? Ask here. 03/15/2001 Interested in learning more about FMD? The Watt Publishing Co. and the Vance Food Systems Group are cosponsoring a "Summit on FMD" in Chicago on June 4. Read information on the summit and how to register at this url. 05/10/2001
- FMD Overview bulletin (pdf format) prepared by Nolan Hartwig, ISU Extension Veterinarian
- Distinctions between FMD and Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) prepared by James McKean, ISU Extension Veterinarian
College of Veterinary Medicine
A policy on visitors to ISU livestock farms during the continuing FMD situation has been established. Read this advisory (pdf). 04/17/2001
- ISU also has established an advisory (pdf) for faculty, staff and student travelers in response to the Foot and Mouth crisis. 04/17/2001.
- USDA has toll-free number for questions on FMD.
U.S. callers (800) 601-9327
International callers 01 (301) 734-9257USDA Q&A sheet on FMD USDA Safeguard Measures text pdf FMD Disease Prevention text pdf
- FMD Disease Response text
- The Pig Site, perhaps the most complete Web site on the European situationUnited Kingdom perspective: complete FMD information from the UK's Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food
- Check incidence rates of specific diseases throughout the world at the Web site of the Office International Des Epizooties (World Organization for Animal Health)